Tuesday 22 March 2016

Capturing foley - Cell door


During the visuals edit I decided to be proactive and prepare myself for the sound edit. I decided to start off by capturing necessary foley sounds including sounds for the jail. I decided to look into and research into old jails, police stations, security holding rooms, any location that may have been useful for capturing the sounds of metal and steel. It was apparent after a few days of research that a cell door was going to be a difficult find. I decided to look in more unconventional locations that may have easier access. I contacted Alligator Storage in Farnham in the hopes that their storage facilities had some very heavy metallic sounding doors. 



Once the firm agreed for us to visit, the director and I made our way over and captured everything we could think of. Footsteps as the floor was cemented, keys rattling, doors closing, impacts with the metal walls. Everything. We also decided to capture a wildtrack, the atmosphere of the place was very busy but distant, exactly like the surrondings of a basement prison cell. 

However, the doors weren't the right sound for us. They created a very good impact sound, but the thick sounding metal was not there. We left Alligator storage without the sound we went there to capture. 




Later that night I decided to wonder the streets the Aldershot, looking for all types of gates. I captured small ones, large ones, broken ones rusted ones, it was a successful trip. Also, with it being nighttime and outside, there was no echo with the sounds. It allowed me complete freedom to manipulate the sounds in the way I want. 

In the end I used a mixture of three sound to create the ideal jail cell door. In the video I have separated the the three sounds to show how each sound plays a vital part in, what should have been, a very simple sound. The sounds included are from both the alligator storage and my midnight hunt for gates.  

No comments:

Post a Comment